Rewired is hiring a UI/UX designer to help us build the next generation of grassroots organizing tools for the Left.
The ideal candidate will have experience with web design (UI/UX) and ideally experience working with electoral campaigns or social movements. Experience with front-end web development is welcome as well.
Please try to get applications in before November 15th, 2021! We are ready for you to start immediately.
Rewired is a worker-owned cooperative designing and building solutions for organizers, enabling them to focus on what they do best: build systems and relationships. We work with political campaigns, unions, and movement organizations, with a deliberate emphasis on supporting Left insurgents and building independent Left infrastructure.
As a worker-owned cooperative, all full-time employees who stay at the company will become co-owners and share in profits and decision-making.
The Role and Team
As a web designer, you’ll work with a small team of software engineers and product designers and our clients as well.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Building several front-end marketing websites
- Developing and enforcing a design system for our web application, Assemble. Assemble is a powerful general-purpose data management tool that we will be beta testing in the coming months and launching in early 2022.
- Evaluating existing tools to inform the design of new features
- Collaborating with product and engineering to define the future of the application and product strategy
- Establishing UX metrics to measure and improve our product
If you have these skills, you will also have the opportunity to:
- Build high fidelity and artistic web assets, including intricate branded loading animations and user interactions
- Do more complex front-end web development
This position is designed for an individual contributor and does not require managing other designers or developers.
We are 100% remote during COVID-19 and have members in New York, California, Massachusetts, and North Carolina.
Base rate is $80K/year with health, vision, and dental insurance. We cover 100% of premiums on a low-to-no deductible plan. Additionally, members receive shares of quarterly profit distributions.
We are paying $80K because that’s what the current developers have decided allows them to live comfortably while spending our clients’ money responsibly and staying oriented towards the long-term growth and survival of the company.
If this is an issue for you, please still get in touch and let us know!
As a designer, you will be responsible for executing and ensuring that the Rewired and Assemble brand is consistent across all platforms.
Our brand (which is fully developed but only beginning to be deployed) is designed to communicate that we as a group of technologists and organizers are committed to:
- Building an electoral Left committed to class-struggle social democracy, and whenever possible, democratic socialism.
- Building a Progressive-Left political formation independent of the Democratic Party establishment.
- Mass politics and popular movements of all kinds that organize ordinary working people of all backgrounds to come together in solidarity to seize power from political and economic elites.
While also communicating the professionalism and credibility that our users will need to trust us with mission critical data and operations.
Politics Rewired is currently working on 2 products.
Spoke Rewired, which offers a low-cost, out-of-the-box solution for peer-to-peer texting programs. Based on the open-source Spoke application but enhanced with automated administrative actions, Spoke Rewired is the most effective way for campaigns and organizations to manage their contact lists.
Assemble, which will enter a beta launch later this year and more widespread launch early next year, is a powerful new way of interacting with organizer data, providing the flexibility and ease of use of Airtable or Google Sheets in building custom workflows backed by the scale, data-integrity, and extensibility of PostgreSQL.
For this position to be a good fit, you must:
- Have experience with web design (UI/UX) and interactive prototyping tools like Figma
- Have an interest in grassroots organizing/building the Progressive-Left
- Be excited about being a co-owner and cooperative member who participates in company decisions
For this position to be a good fit, you should:
- Have experience and interest in either software or product development
- Have experience using research and data to create user journeys, wireframes, and mockups
NICE TO HAVES
The following would also be useful:
- Have experience conducting and drawing results from user interviews
- Have experience defining product strategy and timelines
- Have experience with front-end web development
- Ability to visit NYC sometimes (when safe and possible)
- Familiarity with git and the command line
- Ability to make cool SVG animations
- Have experience with React (preferred) or other similar web framework (Angular, Vue, etc.)
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please send a resume, an updated portfolio, a short cover letter, and the name, email, and contact info for two past work references to email@example.com. References can be a previous boss or co-worker, or someone that you’ve worked with on an organizing or open-source project with.
Rewired is an equal opportunity employer. We highly encourage applications from all backgrounds, and don’t discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, class background, or otherwise. We believe that the most impactful work—and the best work environments—include and foster a range of diverse perspectives. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Application Accommodation” to request such an accommodation.