Rewired is hiring a full-stack software engineer to help us build the next generation of grassroots organizing tools for the left.
The ideal candidate will have experience with TypeScript and React as well as experience working with electoral campaigns or social movements.
Please try to get applications in before November 15th, 2021!
Politics Rewired is a worker-owned cooperative designing human and technological solutions for organizers. We work with organizers to streamline workflows, freeing them up to focus on what they do best: building relationships. We work with campaigns, unions, and movement organizations.
The Role and Team
As a developer, you’ll be part of a small team of software engineers (likely the 6th) and will work closely with everyone in our organization and our clients. You will be building our Assemble product suite: a powerful general purpose data management tool, and an API for quickly building extensions that easily integrate with users’ main databases.
This position is designed for an individual contributor and does not require managing other developers.
Here are some problems you may get to work on:
- Building a high performance React data grid
- Building a graphical formula building UI
- Building a user interface to communicate complex database permissions
- Determining a scalable way to determine if a PostgreSQL query’s results are invalidated from a changelog
- Developing a type-safe compile-to-SQL DSL
We are 100% remote during COVID-19 and have members in New York, California, Massachusetts, and North Carolina.
Base rate of $6.67k/month ($80k/year) with health, vision, and dental insurance. We cover 100% of premiums on a low-deductible plan. Additionally, members receive shares of quarterly profit distributions.
The salary is at $80k because that’s what the current developers have decided allows them to live comfortably while spending our clients’ money responsibly and staying oriented towards the long-term growth and survival of the company. If this is an issue for you, let us know!
Assemble is a powerful new way of interacting with organizer data, providing the flexibility and ease of use of Airtable or Google Sheets in building custom workflows backed by the scale, data-integrity, and extensibility of PostgreSQL.
What sets Assemble apart is its robust access controls and extension system, through which the full customizability of PostgreSQL’s security model (including row-level security) is exposed to the end-user. This enables organizations to enforce the access model that best suits their workflow, allowing them to grant organizers access to just the data they need.
The extension system will allow any developer to write additional voter contact applications that use the core database. This enables organizers to easily build contact workflows across applications without shipping data back and forth.
For this position to be a good fit, you must:
- Have experience with React or a similar web framework (Vue, Angular, etc.)
- Have experience with the command line
- Have experience with SQL databases
- Have an interest in grassroots organizing/building the Left
- Be excited about being a co-owner and cooperative member who participates in company decisions
For this position to be a good fit, you should:
- Have strong git skills, e.g. understanding the value of branching and knowing when and where to rebase
- Have experience working with and designing GraphQL APIs
- Have experience with TypeScript or other statically typed languages
Nice to haves
The following would also be useful:
- Have experience with (or at least a general understanding of) Docker, Kubernetes, and microservice architectures
- Ability to travel occasionally (when safe and possible).
Super Extra Bonus
We are looking to specifically add some of the following skills to our team, so let us know if you have them!
- Knowledge of how to test/benchmark React components and continually improve their performance
- Ability to implement PostgreSQL extensions
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please send a resume that includes links to previous work, a short cover letter, and the name, email, and contact info for two past work references to firstname.lastname@example.org. These could be a previous boss or co-worker, or someone that you’ve worked with on an organizing or open-source project with.
Rewired is an equal opportunity employer. We highly encourage applications from all backgrounds, and don’t discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, class background, or otherwise. We believe that the most impactful work—and the best work environments—include and foster a range of diverse perspectives. Any applicant who requires an accommodation in order to apply for or perform the essential functions of the job should contact us at email@example.com with the subject line “Application Accommodation” to request such an accommodation.