Politics Rewired is a small worker-owned cooperative designing human and technological solutions for organizers. We work with organizers to streamline workflows, freeing them up to focus on what they do best: building relationships. We work with campaigns, unions, and movement organizations.
The Role and Team
As a full-stack developer, you’ll be part of a small dev team of software engineers and will work closely with our product team and our clients. You will initially be working on Spoke Rewired, our fork of the Spoke peer-to-peer texting application. Areas of work include: improving multi-tenancy support, expanding 3rd party integration offerings, and UX improvements for admins and texters. You will also share in technical support and site reliability duties.
This position is one for an individual contributor and does not require managing other developers.
We are 100% remote during COVID-19.
Full time employees — base rate of $5k/month with health, vision, and dental insurance.
Part time employees and contractors — $40/hour.
All employees and contractors are eligible for quarterly profit sharing.
Spoke is an open source peer-to-peer text-distribution tool for organizations to mobilize supporters and members into action. The Politics Rewired fork of the codebase includes a host of performance improvements and features for managing a texting program at scale. Our fork was battle-tested on the Bernie 2020 campaign, which used it to send over 260 million texts, and it continues to be used by hundreds of campaigns and organizations including Charles Booker, Sunrise Movement, and SEIU.
Tech you’ll encounter at Rewired
As an engineer at Politics Rewired, you’ll encounter plenty of interesting technologies including but not limited to Postgres and PL/pgSQL, RabbitMQ, Kubernetes, Python, and more. Your primary responsibility will be web application development but, as a small team, you must be comfortable occasionally diving into something new.
For this position to be a good fit, you MUST:
- Have significant experience with the Express web framework.
- Have significant experience with the React UI library.
- Have experience working with and designing GraphQL APIs
- Have strong git skills, e.g. understanding the value of branching and knowing when and where to rebase
- Have significant experience with the command line
- Have an interest in Rewired/grassroots organizing/building the progressive movement
- Have empathy (especially for teammates, organizers and volunteers)
For this position to be a good fit, you SHOULD:
- Have experience with TypeScript or other statically typed languages
- Have experience with (or at least a general understanding of) Docker, Kubernetes, and microservice architectures
- Have experience with agile development
- Have experience with continuous integration (Circle CI, Jenkins, Travis CI, etc.)
How to Apply
To apply for this position, send a resume and short cover letter to email@example.com. This should include:
- A brief statement about yourself,
- Links to previous work (Github or other things you have built)
We highly encourage applications from all backgrounds, including, but not limited to: people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQ people. We believe that the most impactful work—and the best work environments—include and foster a range of diverse perspectives.